Pernod Aux Plantes d’Absinthe Superieur is based on the original absinthe recipe and today returns to restore its reputation for quality and handcrafted excellence. This 136 proof spirit is distilled from three primary ingredients, Grande Wormwood, Fennel, and Star Anis producing a light green and hint of amber color with a dominant flavor of anis, balanced with wormwood and a citrusy finish.
By using traditional methods and combining wine based distillates and macerates of real herbs and botanicals, Pernod is leading the ultimate revival of absinthe by showing its respect for the original manufacturing process. The combination of the specifically chosen aromatic plants, the ancestry know-how of Pernod in terms of aromatic equilibrium and the mastery of traditional extraction processes reveal the true delicacy of wormwood and bring a subtlety and complexity to the final product.
From the bottle to the glass, the ritual of consuming absinthe is accompanied with an authentic gesture. Pernod Absinthe revives the traditional French service of the late 19th century with a line of utensils (fountain, glasses, spoons). The traditional service can be identified from Montmartre to Williamsburg: 1 measure of absinthe to 5 measures of water.
A slotted spoon is used to dissolve a sugar cube into a glass of absinthe with iced water (filtered or bottled, never from the tap). It is poured drop by drop from a small carafe held high above the glass, or from an absinthe fountain.
This causes the absinthe to cloud, known as the louche effect. Some consider the liquid to be ‘liberated’ at this point, as the essential oils of the herbs are released, adding to the sensory enjoyment of the drink itself.
Ritual a la Française
The classic French Absinthe ritual.
- 1.5 parts of Pernod Absinthe
- 6 parts of iced still water
- 1 sugar cube
- measure Pernod Absinthe into a glass
- place the sugar cube on a perforated absinthe spoon that lies across the top of the glass
- slowly drip ice cold water onto the sugar so that it gradually dissolves into the Absinthe below
The Green Beast Punch
- 1 part of Pernod Absinthe
- 1 part of simple syrup (1 part sugar–1 part water)
- 1 part of fleshly squeezed lime juice
- 4 parts of water
- plenty of ice
- slices of cucumber
- in a punch bowl, build the ingredients listed in order
- add ice cubes
- garnish with thin slices of cucumber