Michigan Craft Beer Month
Reps. MacGregor, Barnett, Bauer, Constan, Crawford, Denby, Durhal, Heise, Jacobsen, Knollenberg, Kowall, Liss, O’Brien, Poleski, Pscholka, Segal, Slavens, Switalski and Tyler offered the following resolution:
House Resolution No. 290.
A resolution to declare July as Craft Beer Month in the state of Michigan.
- Whereas, Michigan craft brewers are a vibrant affirmation and expression of Michigan’s entrepreneurial traditions, operating as community-based small businesses and providing employment for more than 1,000 workers; and
- Whereas, Michigan has craft brewers in every region of the state and more than 100 craft brewers statewide; and
- Whereas, The Michigan Brewers Guild celebrates Michigan Craft Beer Month each year by hosting a Summer Festival in July; and
- Whereas, Michigan craft brewers support Michigan agriculture by purchasing hops, wheat, beet sugar, cherries, apples, and numerous other fruits, herbs, and vegetables grown in Michigan; and
- Whereas, Michigan craft brewers promote Michigan’s spirit of independence through a renaissance in hand-crafted beers like those first brought to Michigan by European settlers and produced here by our forefathers, including Bernhard Stroh, for the enjoyment of the citizenry; and
- Whereas, Michigan craft brewers strive to educate legal drinking-age residents about the differences in beer flavor, aroma, color, alcohol content, body, and other complex variables, as well as historic brewing traditions, beer history, and gastronomic qualities of beer; and
- Whereas, Michigan craft brewers champion the message of responsible enjoyment to their customers and work within their communities to prevent alcohol abuse and underage drinking; and
- Whereas, Michigan craft brewers produce more than 100 distinct styles of flavorful beers, the quality and diversity of which have made Michigan the envy of many states, contributing to balanced trade with increased Michigan exports, and promoting Michigan tourism; and
- Whereas, Michigan craft brewers have been a successful business model during our state’s economic struggles, thriving and expanding — furthering their economic importance to our state; and
- Whereas, Michigan craft brewers are vested in the future, health, and welfare of their communities as employers providing a diverse array of quality local jobs, as contributors to the local tax base, and as committed sponsors of a broad range of vital community institutions and philanthropic causes, including not-for-profit housing development associations, chambers of commerce, humane societies, athletic teams, and medical research; now, therefore, be it
- Resolved by the House of Representatives, That the members of this legislative body declare July as Craft Beer Month in the state of Michigan. We recognize the contributions that Michigan craft brewers have made to the state’s communities, economy, and history; and be it further
- Resolved, That we commend Michigan craft brewers for providing jobs, improving the balance of trade, supporting Michigan agriculture, and educating residents about the history and culture of beer while promoting the responsible consumption of beer as a beverage of moderation.